BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #titan_ceremony-1 | 2018-12-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Overciew

to spurn the titan god
sacrifices must be made
This is a small arcade game made for Ludum Dare 43.

How to play

Goal

complete the desired sacrifices as they appear by taking bread, coin, and pig from the bottom alters
and placing them on the top alters. Make sure your offerings are in the correct order, or they don’t
count. Don’t let your life hit zero or your band of zealots may become the sacrifice!

Controls

[left] [right]: move the zealots
[X]: pick up a new sacrifice AND pass the items down the line
[C] (pico-8 "O" button): pass the items down the line (without picking up a new one)

Versions

• 0: initial release
  • 1: remade title screen
P#59559 2018-12-02 03:50 ( Edited 2018-12-06 14:19)

Since forum updates, new gif uploads are rendered as broken links.
See: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=59400#p

P#59537 2018-12-01 15:11

Cart #mojosafona-0 | 2018-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

TVNOISE

Toggle noise screen and title screen with Button x.

P#59535 2018-12-01 15:09

while exploring an internet hole the other day i began reading about chromadepth glasses. It got me thinking about being able to get "pop out 3d" effect in pico8 and voxatron without needing to do any kind of Anaglyph effect by only using the colors at the proper "depths" as described below

their description:
"The ChromaDepth glasses create striking 3D images from normal 2D images by pulling forward the color red to the foreground and sorting the remaining colors according to their position in the rainbow. ROY G BIV! (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet). The ChromaDepth process encourages fantastic 3D illusions without compromising the quality of the image when viewed without the glasses."

i can personally vouch that these work even with glasses because a few smoke shops ive been to sell them with giant fabric wall scrolls

Chromadepth Glasses if anyone is interested

i think crayola used these around 8 years ago

P#59524 2018-12-01 06:47 ( Edited 2018-12-01 07:10)

Using Chrome on Android (on a Pixel 2 so this is the latest version of OS and browser) when I hold down a button (including d-pad buttons) on the mobile web button overlay (in fullscreen mode), it now causes a vibration as if I am selecting text on the page. I'm guessing it thinks it is selecting some invisible text in the overlay or something...there is no visual indication of text highlight. I can definitely say this did not happen on the previous version of the BBS.

Sorry for all the bug reports, lol. I hope the info helps :D

P#59521 2018-12-01 05:43 ( Edited 2018-12-01 05:49)

Cart #pico8adventcalendar2018-31 | 2018-12-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

It's the Pico-8 Advent Calendar for 2018!

This is the main menu for a collaboration organized by Bigaston.

Come back on each day from the 1st to the 25th of December for twenty-five different surprises, each made by a different developer! This menu cartridge will link to all of the games as they are released, though the individual cartridges will also have their own threads.

P#59497 2018-12-01 04:12 ( Edited 2018-12-25 03:35)

Light Bikes! Get together with a friend and compete in Light Bikes!

If you like this game please drop a comment and a like down below. Any support is much appreciated!
Thank You!

Cart #bsrudmo-1 | 2018-12-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#59515 2018-12-01 02:46

Cart #dubayubeno-3 | 2018-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hungry Harry is back! Help Harry as he travels around the world putting a stop to the mushroom gang!

HOW TO PLAY:

Walk - arrow keys

Jump - Z or C

Lick things - X

High Jump - jump while licking

Long Jump - jump while licking AND holding a direction.

GOAL: Find the portal at the end of each level. Harry will get hungry over time, so make sure to eat enemy mushrooms as well as berries you find sitting around the levels.

TIPS:

Blue mushrooms are tough and can't be licked normally. If you eat a spicy pepper, Harry will turn red-hot for a few seconds. Use this time to eat the blue mushrooms.
If you lick while in the air, Harry can get a little extra boost. By licking on the ground and then jumping soon after, Harry can jump extra high or extra far, depending on whether or not you are holding a direction key down.
See if you can find every present in the game! You can get lots of berries from presents by licking them.

PROTIP!!!

Is Harry too easy for you? Pause the game with ENTER and choose hard mode!

Fixes:
v1.1 - fixed possible softlock in level 2.
v1.2 - made hard mode accessible from menu instead of a weird code noone can do. Fixed some trouble areas.
v1.3 - fixed present count.

P#59509 2018-12-01 01:27 ( Edited 2018-12-04 13:12)

@zep
A couple days ago, I uploaded an unlisted cart (with an all lowercase alphabetic ID). Today I tried to update that unlisted cart, and it tells me:

Upload successful!

Tag for this version is: [# sillytree-#]

(I've replaced my real cart ID with "sillytree" because the real one is still super secret :p and also put a space after the first "#" so that the BBS doesn't try to display it as a cart)

There is no number after the hyphen there (the current version is "-0" so I would expect a "-1" now) and when I go to the cart's info page, it still says there is only 1 version. And if I try going to /cart_info.php?cid=sillytree-1 it says that does not exist.

Help!

I don't know if this only happens on unlisted carts or not; all I know is what happens in this specific case. I tried a couple times just to make sure it wasn't a one-time glitch or something, and it is reliably reproducible.

P#59505 2018-12-01 00:15 ( Edited 2018-12-01 00:17)

WIth the previous version of the BBS, I almost never got logged out. With this version, it seems like every time I visit, I have to log back in. A couple days ago I was even sometimes getting logged out just clicking around to different pages.

Is this short login session time by design?

P#59496 2018-11-30 19:53

Hello!

I'm learning Pico8 and programming in general, so I'm trying some very very simple things.

I've made a triangle using lines, and using the arrow keys I can move one of the vertices of the triangle.
How can I make it so if I push button5 the arrow keys stop moving that vertex and start moving the second one, press again and changes to the third one and finally press again and changes to the first.

Thank you so much!

So far this is the code I have:

function _init()
    x1=100
    y1=20
    x2=40
    y2=40
    x3=60
    y3=60
    c=7
end

function _update60()
    cls(1)

if btn(0) then
        x1-=1
    end
    if btn(1) then
        x1+=1
    end
    if btn(2) then
        y1-=1
    end
    if btn(3) then
        y1+=1
    end
end

function _draw()
    line(x1,y1,x2,y2,c)
    line(x2,y2,x3,y3,c)
    line(x3,y3,x1,y1,c)
end
P#59489 2018-11-30 07:20 ( Edited 2018-11-30 07:21)

Hi @zep,

Before you pull the trigger on v0.1.12 - can I ask whether you've enabled extcmd in binary exports?

I just assumed it would work as the screenshot/gif record facility is there in exports, but when I try the code below on a Mac binary export (which is still 32-bit BTW), it does nothing:

extcmd("screen")  -- works in PICO-8, not in binary export?

Is this something that could still be rolled into the next version?

Thanks as always! :D

P#59488 2018-11-30 07:15 ( Edited 2018-11-30 07:18)

Cart #hituditeku-0 | 2018-12-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Cart #yonipakifi-0 | 2018-11-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Here's a Pico-8 ray tracer with the amazing ability to render both spheres AND planes.

Let it run all the way through even though the colors will be funky at first. After it renders the image, it will switch to high-color mode.

Features:
-NEW High Color Mode
-Spheres
-Planes
-Textures (2d)
-Diffuse and Specular Shading
-Shadows
-Reflections

-ElectricGryphon

P#59480 2018-11-30 05:24 ( Edited 2018-12-04 20:30)

This is a really weird bug, but stat calls for pattern index, note index, and "number of ticks played" do not always sync up and sometimes one changes before the other. It was intermittent and hard to track down. In order to compensate for this, I had to write something to insulate myself from it:

function poll_songpos()
  local pat = stat(24)
  local n = stat(21)
  local ticks = stat(26)

-- compensate for bug (!) where pattern sometimes changes before note
  if pat ~= songpos.pat and n ~= songpos.n then
    songpos.pat = pat
    songpos.n = n

if songpos.prevticks > 0 and ticks >= songpos.prevticks then
      songpos.ticks = 0
      songpos.waitingforticksync = true
    end
  elseif pat == songpos.pat and n ~= songpos.n then
    songpos.n = n
  end

-- compensate for bug (!) where pattern sometimes changes before ticks
  if songpos.waitingforticksync then
    if ticks < songpos.prevticks then
      songpos.waitingforticksync = false
    end
  else
    songpos.ticks = ticks
    songpos.prevticks = ticks
  end
end

(I then changed all other code to use songpos as the source of truth, rather than the stat calls)

However, this caused a big headache and was hard to track down and it would be great if this wrapper were not necessary. Also I'm not 100% sure this wrapper code is completely bulletproof; I simply wrote it out of necessity to get the issue out of the way from the specific cart I was working on.

Sorry I don't have a cart demonstrating the issue, but I will try to make one. I just wanted to get this reported sooner rather than later, in hopes that it might get addressed for the upcoming update :D

EDIT: as a reminder I also have another bug thread about stat(24) returning 0 instead of -1 which hasn't been fixed yet

PS
Thanks again, @zep, for adding these sfx state-related stat calls a while back; it is super fun to get stuff to react to music/sfx, in a way that is not easily possible on most other platforms!

P#59474 2018-11-29 22:35 ( Edited 2018-11-29 22:44)

Can Install my Pico -8 purchase on multiple platforms? For example, can I run it on both my windows and raspberry Pi or do I need to purchase individually for both? Thanks

P#59466 2018-11-29 20:50

The new BBS 4.0 "cart menu" (the one that slides over and covers the screen and shows other carts) is really cool! However, it seems it allows music to continue playing, while not running _update on the cart. This will basically completely break some audio synchronization stuff I do with stat calls in some of my carts (I do this heavily in one which is going to be released very soon!)

You can see an obvious demonstration of the issue with this cart, which displays the notes that it sees are playing: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=28685

Until now, I did not see a way for music to play without the update method being called for so long (besides minor frame drops, which I do some work to account for), and this feels kind of like a violation of a basic assumption (at least an assumption I had) with the API so I'm hoping this web behavior can be changed so that the cart is either completely paused or completely running, and not a weird in-between state? @zep

P#59460 2018-11-29 19:40 ( Edited 2018-11-29 20:38)

I never imagined I'd be excited about releasing a website update, but here it is! This update addresses many ancient bugs and issues, but also aims to support the PICO-8 / Voxatron fantasy console ecosystem. There are new features to make collaboration, sharing, teaching and exploring carts a little easier.

lexaloffle.com is now also running on a new server, on top of a leaner stack that should be much more responsive. Along with a lot of new code running underneath it all, there will still be some new bugs to deal with (apologies to those who were around earlier this week for the bumpy migration process!) -- feel free to report any issues in the comments here, or in the PICO-8 bugs sub-forum.

New Features

Superblog

View a feed of everything going on using the Superblog. You can also follow other users to create a tailored feed.

Featured Carts

The list of featured carts (same as in SPLORE) is now sorted by the time each cart was added to the list, so that it's possible to come back periodically and see what's new without digging too much for notable releases. Selection will be based on a combination of user interaction, manual curation, and the phase of the moon. To kick things off, the first few pages of the old featured lists will be fed through a few carts per day.

Featured cartridges also now show up on the main PICO-8 product page. I went with a whirlpool format, where newly featured carts start out big on the left and then get sucked down.

(this screenshot is from my test server -- you can see the live version here)

Custom Cart IDs and Versioning

When submitting a cartridge, you can now choose an alphanumeric id, for example: "spooky_forest". A revision number is automatically appended to the id: "spooky_forest-0". To refer to the most recent version of a cart, you can optionally use the id without the revision number: LOAD("#SPOOKY_FOREST") will download the most recent version.

Unlisted Cartridges

Unlisted carts can now be played online by anyone who knows the id: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/cart_info.php?cid=silly_tree

This can be useful if you want to send someone (or yourself) a cartridge in a semi-private way. The id defaults to a relatively non-guessable string for this reason.

Cart Menu

The cart player now has an extra pull-out menu (top right) that displays more cartridges by the same author, along with some featured carts and a random cart for good luck. This selection is not currently aware of context (e.g. which carts you already visited), so it's not a great way to surf around more than a handful of carts, but I'm hoping it will draw at least a few hapless visitors into the rabbit hole.

Embedding

If you'd like your cartridge to be embeddable on other websites, there is now an option on the submission page, or enable it on existing carts by pressing the 'edit' link under the cart player.

Notifications

Each thread has a little notification button that can be toggled:

Any new replies to a thread you are subscribed to, or any @ mention of your username (e.g. @zep) will trigger an email notification. These can be muted with a global option under Settings if they become annoying.

Drafts and Unlisted Threads

New posts can be saved as a draft, and then retrived from your profile page under the 'Posts' section.

If you would like to create a thread that can be viewed via a secret url, you can also create an unlisted thread. Mentioning another user in an unlisted thread will only notify them if they have already posted there. Unlisted threads are handy for things like allowing other people to comment on drafts, semi-open invitations to collaborate or test ideas, and class / workshop threads where participants can share their work without having to make a more visible BBS thread.

Community Tags

Community tags can be added to any post by any user. There are just two tags for the moment:

• Posts tagged with Mature Content will not be visible in SPLORE when the content_filter is set to 2 in config.txt (this will be easier to set up in future!).

• Post tagged as spam will go under review to be removed. If your account is older than the posts account when you flag it as spam, the post contents are instantly hidden (plus a few minutes for caching to catch up) until it is reviewed. This is to limit the potential for shenanigans from relatively new users.

User Profiles

If you look under your Settings page, you'll find a place to put a homepage link, plus any social media account names. These show up as little buttons under your name, and at the top of your profile page. There are also options to make your likes and/or favourites lists public from your profile > Carts page.

In the pull-down menu next to each post you can also find an option to pin up to 3 posts to the top of your profile. Alternatively, whole playable cartridges can be included in the "About" field using [# followed by the cart id, followed by #].

Puffin CAPTCHA

Unfortunately there seems to still be a bunch of sleeper spam accounts to be weeded out over time, but it now a little harder for spammers to join up:

To be honest, this is not a very difficult CAPTCHA to defeat, but I'm counting on it not being worth any potential spammer's time to solve it just for one website. And if it came to it, I think we could make new carts faster than spammers can automate their solutions. (SPAMJAM?)

New Cart Players

Both the Voxatron 0.3.5 and PICO-8 0.1.12 players are live! There isn't much to see yet except for a new boot screen in Voxatron, but both players are needed before the binary updates are available to handle newer BBS features. But updates for both are also around the corner.

Missing features

Some things didn't survive the migration (yet), or are unfinished:

• The 'Code' and 'Copy' buttons on the cart players are missing. I don't think we need copy anymore, because it is easier just to LOAD("#FOO") from inside PICO-8. I miss the Code button, which will return at some point, but possibly in a different form.

• The GFX, SFX snippets and Tutorial sub-forums are empty because they're new. I've re-organised the way sub-forums are presented (now under 4 broad categories: Carts, Community, Snippets and Support), and the old Graphics and Music subs didn't fit very well. They only had a couple of pages of posts each, so I've bumped them into their respective authors' blogs for now.
P#59457 2018-11-29 18:42 ( Edited 2018-11-29 18:49)

Cart #dijikehutu-0 | 2018-11-28 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Very basic!

Avoid the crabs and collect the gold to get the highest score.

Simple :-)

Thanks for looking

P#59424 2018-11-28 20:02 ( Edited 2018-11-28 20:14)

It looks like the "/bbs" bit is missing.

For example, this is the image URL on my settings page:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/files/9551/kitty_yellow3.png

But the correct URL is apparently:
https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/files/9551/kitty_yellow3.png

P#59415 2018-11-28 07:12

When sorting by likes, anything past page 1 seems to display an empty page.

compare this: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?cat=7#sub=2&orderby=featured

to this: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?cat=7#sub=2&page=2&orderby=featured

P#59414 2018-11-28 07:07 ( Edited 2018-11-28 07:08)
View Older Posts